Gmail for iPads


Full disclaimer before reading: This is what I do on my iPad and other mobile devices. If you are comfortable with how your iPad email is set up, feel free to stay with what works for you. 

Like you, I spend a lot of time going through email. Whether it's reading work/personal email, deleting unnecessary email, or organizing what's important and what's not, a lot of our time is spent keeping it all straight. Hopefully you have developed a system that works for you for keeping your emails organized so that you can access them easily and communicate effectively. Personally, I'm a big fan of using Unread, Folders, and Labels, but some use stars, flags, etc.

All iPads come with the standard Apple Mail app for managing email. Many of you have used it to manage one or multiple email accounts. While it is an effective app, there is no shortage of email management apps available to you. Some of these apps are free and some have a fee. There are too many apps to personally review, but fortunately others have done it and have written about it: Best iPad Mail Clients

Years ago, I used to use the Apple Mail app for managing all of my email (school & work). While convenient, I became frustrated because I would often confuse which account I was using and was unable to mark/organize them like I could on the browser. I decided then to try using the Gmail app on my devices (iPhone & iPad). I figured that since I do most of my school correspondence on my laptop through Gmail in a browser (Chrome), I would use the same company's app on my devices if needed. My thinking was simple, school email = Gmail, home email = Apple mail.

I continue to use this system as it has worked well for me. Besides just keeping the accounts separate, the other advantage of using the Gmail app is that the functions on the app are identical to what I have online in a browser. All of my folders are there and I can label things exactly as I do on my laptop. The only limitation I have found are the add-ons such as Undo Mail. 

If you're finding that Apple Mail isn't working for you, there are other options. I'm not against using Apple Mail, but know that there is an entire industry centered around increasing productivity with apps and finding a good email client app that works for you can make things a lot easier. In fact, if you have email apps that you like to use, besides the ones I mentioned, please share them with us by posting a reply. 

In the meantime, if you want to change your email app and need help doing it, see me or another DTC in the library during blocks 1, 2, or 3. Happy emailing!

Comments

Popular Posts